INSIDE with BRETT HAWKE
Episode 004: Dylan Carter
Dylan Carter is preparing to become an Olympian for the second time. In the midst of preparing to compete — he set aside a few moments to sit down and talk training, life and fitness outside the pool and some of what has led him to becoming one of Trinidad and Tobago’s most accomplished swimmers. Listen in to hear about his first Olympic experience, his role as an inaugural member of the International Swimming League's L.A Current and why having the right mindset is just as important as physical training when it comes to the Olympics.
“I want to inspire a generation, like I was [inspired]. I look at swimming in the Caribbean and I think of these kids. I think these kids deserve to have someone to look up to."
- Dylan Carter [03:27]
- What keeps Dylan Carter motivated.
- How he was inspired to become an athlete.
- Why mindset is the most important factor when heading to the Olympics.
- The effect of Mamba mentality and the power of belief.
- [00:15] Intro
- [00:45] Dylan’s Journey from Trinidad to where he is today.
- [02:01] How he got his start in swimming
- [03:08] What drives him?
- [04:14] Becoming an Olympian
- [05:54] What events Dylan Carter will compete in for 2020
- [06:35] How he’s preparing and getting even better
- [09:05] What Dylan has learned from his coaches
- [11:08] His strategy for balancing racing and training
- [12:08] His experience with International Swim Team, The L.A Current
- [13:42] What pro swimmers do outside of the pool
- [14:41] Dylan’s week overview
- [15:40] Gym and fitness outside of the water
- [16:45] What Dylan is working to improve
- [18:21] Family, friends and performing
- [20:24] What is it going to take to make the final in 100 freestyle?
- [22:36] Brett on Cesar Cielo breaking the world record
- [24:29] The power of belief and claiming your victory
- [25:45] Outro
- “I want to inspire a generation, like I was [inspired]. I look at swimming in the caribbean and I think of these kids. I think these kids deserve to have someone to look up to." - Dylan Carter [03:27]
- "Once you get there you realize the chase is just a part of the journey. Once you're there, then what are you going to do?" - Brett Hawke [18:19]
- “You got a lane, you got a chance.” -Dylan Carter[21:43]
- “It's the power of belief. When you say it, you put it into action and every fiber of your body believes it... You don't hope for something to happen, you know it is going to happen and you're going to go out there and make it happen.” - Brett Hawke [25:12]
Find | Brett Hawke
On Instagram @hawkebr
Find | Dylan Carter
On Instagram: @djacarter
On Twitter: @dylancarter11
Inside with Brett Hawke is presented by Fitter & Faster. Host a swim camp. More than 1,000 swim clinic sessions in 46 States plus Canada & the Bahamas in 2019.