Events on Day 4 of World Champ Trials:
A few thoughts…
- Ledecky and Leah Smith. They’ll be breaking 4 minutes together in Budapest.
- Opting not to swim the 1500, Clark Smith will be fresh for the 400 battle. This is a three way fight vs. Zane Grothe and of course the favorite, Townley Haas. Townley has 48.2 speed and good gosh who knows what he’ll go in the 200 on Wednesday night…one smart coach told me 1:43…with ease.
- The women’s 100 Breast podium should be comprised of the 3 Olympians: Lilly King, Katie Meili, and Molly Hannis…and probably in that order.
- This is probably the deepest the Men’s 100 Breast has been in a while with the top 6 seeds under a minute and 7th being Will Licon. Andrew Wilson, the Phillips Academy graduate, went 50 point at D3 NCAA’s for Emory this year. Michael Andrew looks to be continuing his focus on 50’s and 100’s — and his Breaststroke is his best stroke. I think he will be under 59 and break the World Jr Record.
- You’re probably won’t have to be under a minute to make it into Finals but you’ll have to probably be under 59 to make the squad. Ali Deloof has been posting sub minute swims all year long like it ain’t no thang. This is Olivia Smoliga’s best LCM event. Kathleen Baker has a relaxed confidence and, like all great swimmers, swims best at night.
- Ryan Murphy is in the driver’s seat. He hasn’t lost in a very long time. People forget how dominant he has been. We will finally find out if Matt Grevers is more into muffins or medals. America’s dominance is silly.